With the winter season fast approaching, a brief maintenance check could go a long way in helping your vehicle through the worst periods of the weather.
Poor weather and plummeting temperatures mean that the amount of broken-down vehicles will be on the increase during the months of winter.
Before the onset of the harsh winter weather, you would be wise to prepare your vehicle to take on the elements. This post will offer you a handy winter checklist of things you need to see your vehicle through to spring in condition.
- Service your vehicle – If your vehicle requires servicing, you should seriously consider getting it done ASAP! Get it done before the winter. The cold weather causes several problems for vehicles, but you must realise that half of those problems could have been avoided by routine maintenance and servicing.
If you have trouble with recognising the signs and signals that your vehicle is due for servicing, you should consider installing the CARLO companion mobile application which is an inbuilt feature of the CARLO Car Tracker (details to follow).
- Check your coolant – You will have to ensure that you have a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze. Top-up regularly with antifreeze because it tends to dilute over time. Most people make the mistake of using water to top-up during the winter months. This will make the antifreeze over diluted which leads to freezing.
- Check your battery – This must be your first priority. The chemical processes that are necessary for power generation in a vehicle battery tend to show down during extremely cold weather conditions. Your vehicle will need more current than usual from the battery in order to start the engine. You will also experience an increased use of the heater and lights. All these are an additional strain on the battery of your vehicle. Batteries usually come with an effective lifespan of about five (5) years. To avoid a cold engine on an equally cold morning, you need to carry out a battery load test to see if your battery still has enough power. Run a check on your battery terminals and wires to see if they have any cracks. Also ensure that your battery fluid is full to the brim.
- Fill up your wiper fluid – Driving during winter is tough. Reduced visibility will only make it worse. You must have sufficient wiper fluid to keep the windshield clear of ice, salt, snow and mud. Be sure to make use of freeze-resistant fluid.
- Replace your wiper blades – Most of these blades are really useful for between six months to a year. It is very possible that you need new ones. Select heavy duty wiper blades that have been specifically designed for the harsh winter weather.
- Inspect and replace your tyres – Any vehicle’s tyres are important for both steering and braking. They must be in good shape. Check your tyres for tread depth and pressure. 3mm depth during the winter is recommended, compared to the 1.6mm legal minimum. This gives your tyres better grip for the months ahead.
- Prepare a winter supply tool box for your vehicle – This might just be the most important thing you can do for your vehicle and your own personal safety. A box full of emergency supplies in your vehicle can make all the difference in the event that something goes wrong. People have been known to get lost during heavy snow. You will need a means of survival and location during emergencies.
Which brings us to our final point;
- Install a GPS Car Tracker – The amazing fact about a GPS car tracker is that it keeps vehicles and drivers safe. Especially during the harsh winter months. If for some reason you have not already installed one in your vehicle, then you must know that CARLO offers GPS tracking systems. Our car tracker gives you an opportunity to navigate any hurdles that may come your way due to poor weather driving conditions.
CARLO is a vehicle tracker that is plugged into the on-board diagnostics (OBD) port.
We have on offer, CARLO and CARLO +
Features and Benefits of CARLO Tracker
- With CARLO, you can share your location with anyone or inform 24|7 Home Rescue for roadside assistance
- Keep updating yourself on your car’s requirements by getting regular alerts about MOT renewals, car faults and remote diagnostics, thereby reducing costly repairs. With CARLO you will get car accident assistance
- Optimise your driving routes and car expenditure by knowing your trips summary and fuel consumption rates.
CARLO offers a wide variety of GPS tracking systems for individuals and organisations alike. Tracking vehicles, especially during the winter is fast becoming the standard. Not to do so would mean putting the vehicle and driver at risk.